Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Chiang Mai, Part Deux

Chiang Mai was such a cool spot in Thailand, that when some of the expats mentioned that they wanted to head out there I jumped at the chance to go again



I did more things outside of the city this time around, like visiting an elephant sanctuary



I hadn't seen elephants this close up before, but they really are amazing



I had to ride one of these things; when would I get the chance to casually ride an elephant again?



Up close and personal with my new friends



The jungles and forests of Chiang Mai (and northern Thailand in general) are really a sight to see



Decided to roll out to Chiang Rai too, which was a fairly long drive. Stopped to grab coffee at this cool little spot along a river.



Caught some beautiful farms along the way to Chiang Rai



Chiang Rai was equally beautiful, with lots of color. And just on the other side of that mountain lies the border for Burma



Fisherman out for a coast down the river. It was so peaceful here.



Also went to check out the long-neck tribal villages, which was an interesting experience.



While much of their existence relies on tourism at this point, it felt really intrusive to be there once we'd arrived



All that said though, I was still very intrigued and couldn't snapping shots (what a tourist I've become)



Before leaving, I had to see one of the temples I had previously visited (a beautiful, quiet spot)



And of course, what would a visit to Chiang Mai be without swinging by Monk Chat?

No comments: