Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Nepal!

Nepal is an absolutely amazing and enchanting place, and it was really incredible to fly in over the Himalayas (peaking out from the clouds below)



I got into Kathmandu really early in the morning and was shocked by how many people were already out and about; it was particularly cold too



One thing that really stuck out to me in this country was the architecture of the buildings



The buddhist stupas spread out across the city are the coolest I've seen yet



On my way out from the Kathmandu airport and into the city I paused to watch so many intersections as I passed - it's crazy to think that these scenes play out every morning, and here I was unaware of it until this moment



The other great thing about Kathmandu is the various temples all throughout the city: it's like an easter-egg hunt. I was strolling past an area just down the street from my hotel when I randomly stumbled into this temple.



Early that next morning I got up at the break of dawn to catch the "Everest flight" which flies parallel to the Himalayas at sunrise. I highly recommend this if you make it to Nepal



That high peak in the center is Mt. Everest - it was one of those moments I said to myself "I can't believe I'm seeing this."



And of course, I'm always on the lookout for monkeys! These guys were roaming freely throughout Kathmandu



Made a visit over to Pashupatinath Temple, the Holiest Hindu temple in the world



I got to watch one of the processions from the doorstep; Hindus make a pilgrimage to this temple from all over the world



Strolling down one of the market areas situated in a back alley



Also made it up to Swayambhunath Temple (Monkey Temple)



As soon as I walked in I caught this monkey jacking some dude's cotton candy



The views of Kathmandu valley from this Stupa were so cool



Interesting Buddhist relics all throughout the temple



I watched this monk feeding pidgeons with a little girl - the Tibetan monks have a really calming effect



I talked with so many Tibetan monks while I was in Nepal about so many things. Gave me a really interesting perspective on (Tibetan) Buddhism.



Patan Square - these squares were immaculately preserved



Bhaktapur Square, which is where they filmed "The Little Buddha"



More scenes from inside of Bhaktapur Square - it really felt like I was on a movie set here



Shot from up top of Nargarkot Hill Station, notice Everest in the background



And probably my favorite spot in Nepal - Boudanath Stupa - the world's largest Stupa



This Stupa could be seen from so many spots in Kathmandu



I stayed here for hours watching the Tibetan Monks circle the Stupa; there were so many of them.......a really amazing experience.

No comments: